Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, we have a legal duty to protect any personal information we collect from you. We do not pass on your details to any third party or government departments unless you give us permission to do so or the law requires/permits it.
As a data controller we have to notify the Information Commissioner of the types of personal information we process and for what purpose we use it for and whom we share it with. The Information Commissioner's Office is the UK's independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
You can see what is recorded on our Data Protection Notification entry if you search for the Etwall Primary School on the Information Commissioners Website notification number ZA667498. We use and share your personal information in order to identify, plan, deliver and monitor services that we provide to you. We respect everyone's right to privacy, and we are fully committed to the principles of the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR.
Who We Are
Etwall Primary School uses your personal data to support our pupils’ learning, monitor and report on their progress, provide appropriate pastoral care and assess the quality of our services. Etwall Primary School is registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) with the registration number ZA667498.
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted via the School Office.
Why We Process Your Data
As a data controller, Etwall Primary School can process your personal data under the Data Protection Act 2018, GDPR and subsequent enactments. We process your data for the following purposes:
- To support our pupils’ learning;
- To monitor and report on their progress;
- To provide appropriate pastoral care;
- To assess the quality of our services;
- Where you have agreed, for the purpose of consulting, informing and gauging your opinion about our products and services. This is consent-based. There are no consequences to you if you do not provide your data;
- To ensure we meet our statutory obligations, including those related to diversity and equal opportunity. Your data is used as the law requires it for statutory services;
- To carry out legal duties, providing information to others (Local Councils, Department for Education etc);
- To conduct equal opportunities monitoring and equality impact assessments using your 'Protected Characteristic Data'.
Etwall Primary School relies on several different legal basis depending on the processing being performed:
(Article 6(1)(a)), Consent - on specific occasions Etwall Primary School will only process certain data if you consent e.g. on registration you only need to provide certain "special categories" of data if you agree that.
(Article 6 (1)(b)), Necessary for the performance of a contract - on many occasions Etwall Primary School will process your data to enable it to meet its commitments to you e.g. those relating to education and assessment.
(Article 6 (1)(c)), Necessary to comply with a legal obligation - Etwall Primary School may have legal obligations to provide your personal data to others e.g. our local authority [LA] - Derbyshire Council Council - and the Department for Education [DfE].
(Article 6 (1)(d)), For the purpose of protecting the vital interest of yourself or another - sometimes in extreme circumstances Etwall Primary School will have to release information to protect your interests or the interests of others e.g. in medical emergencies.
(Article 6 (1)(e)), Processing necessary for the performance of a task carried in the public interest - Etwall Primary School is an educational establishment and in particular its educational activity is conducted in a public interest (including your interest and the interest of others).
(Article 6 (1)(f)), Processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interest of Etwall Primary School or a third party subject to overridden interests of the data subject - Etwall Primary School (and sometimes third parties) has a broad legitimate interest in activities that connect to the activities and education of students. Subject to those interests not being overridden by the interests of fundamental rights and freedom of students, it will pursue those interests.
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which it is collected.
How We Collect Your Data
We collect data to operate effectively and provide you the best experience at Etwall Primary School. You may provide some of this data directly to us, such as when you apply for a school place or begin as a member of staff.
Etwall Primary School and may receive information about you from your previous school, local authority and/or the Department for Education [DfE].
Who We Share Your Data With
Etwall Primary School may share your data with the following organisations:
- Schools that the pupils attend after leaving us
- Feeder schools
- Our Local Authority
- Other relevant Local Authorities
- Our Governing Body
- Employers/training providers where references are requested
- Work experience providers
- The Department for Education (DfE) including Learner Record Services and the National Pupil Database
- NHS (agencies and services)/School Nurse
- External systems used by the School to carry out day to day processes and requirements. For example, and not limited to: RM Integris, eSchools, Insight, Parent Pay.
Etwall Primary School keeps personal data for as long as it is needed for the purpose for which it was originally collected. Details of the Etwall Primary School retention and disposal schedule can be found in the documentation below.
You have the following rights:
- To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you. This is known as the right of subject access;
- Rights to rectification and erasure. You have the right to correct any inaccurate personal data held by Etwall Primary School. Once information Etwall Primary School has collected is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected and processed, you sometimes have the right to have your data erased;
- To ask us to stop processing your data temporarily if you think it is wrong until we work out what is correct;
- To ask us to let you take a copy of your data in a portable format to another organisation.
If you gave us your data with consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Please get in touch with us.
Profiling and Automated Decisions
Etwall Primary School does not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.
Making a Complaint
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we process your personal data, we ask that you let us know so that we can try and put things right. You can complain to Etwall Primary School. If we are not able to resolve issues to your satisfaction, you can refer the matter to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113